Nepal's Banksy was here!

Nepal's Banksy was here!
Strong message, Simple words

Monday 27 April 2015

A matter of minutes. The Earthquake.



On Friday April 24th, Labour Day Holiday, I had a very pleasant walk with work colleagues to the nearby village of Khasur. Simon was away in Baglung approximately 50 miles West and due back on Sunday. On Saturday morning I did a few chores and then went down to transplant some vegetable plants in our small plot. I came home earlier than planned as I had forgotten a bag with seeds and I wasn't sure whether I had left it outside the flat and thought that I ought to check. I put down some lettuce and spinach, next to the sink, and took off my dirty sandals.

Walking back to the sink there was a very sudden shudder. We have had a few very minor tremors so I just thought it was another (a split second assumption). So much went through my mind in the split seconds that followed. I rushed to the doorway, I must have read about door frames and corners in our emergency briefing. No, I could hear panicky voices and running so I quickly joined the rush down the stairs and outside. No-one knew where to go or what to do. We gathered, neighbours from the surrounding houses. The tremendous shaking was making noise and what I noticed most was 3 meters of reinforcement bars on the next door building (these are common as houses grow upwards) which were clattering and swaying. It took a few more moments to look at the gathering crowd. No-one had experienced anything like this. Eyes were wide and faces pale and full of unsaid questions.

It could have only lasted for a few minutes, probably only 3 but I am unsure. It seemed like a lot longer. It was about midday. Although I was among a small crowd I felt very alone. Where was Simon, was he OK? The buildings were all standing and the quake stopped as quickly as it had started. About 10 minutes later I did what I am sure I shouldn't have done so quickly. I went inside to gather a few things and most importantly, my phone so that I could try to get hold of Simon. Everything seemed OK and I threw some sensible and some random things into a bag, put on some more comfortable shoes and beat a hasty retreat.

Everyone was still outside looking dazed. I spoke to several friends and then sat, somewhat dumbfounded on a low wall. After several attempts at phoning Simon, and also the VSO Emergency number, I got a call from him. Thank goodness he was OK - a huge relief. (I will leave Simon to tell his own experience). So much went through my mind in that short time. There was a very strange mix of adrenaline but also a slightly detached "what is going on", simplicity and calm.

Having made contact with my fellow volunteer, Ann, I set off to her flat at the other end of town. On my way there was another tremor.  I passed a very strange mix of unusual and normal sights. People gathered, some under the messy power and phone lines above which worried me. There were even some girls who had been washing at the Pandero, (outside water and washing place), who were continuing with their Saturday ritual. Most were looking stunned.


30 minutes after the quake and groups are gathered.

We stood outside for some time. So did everyone else. A head of a local college said that he was 59 years old and had never experienced anything like this. It confirmed our thoughts that this was something serious. It was a long time later that we realised that we were very close to the epicenter to the East.



Out of the sun but near the open space of a school playground.

The rest of the day was somewhat surreal. I managed to get messages to our family by the amazing tool of WhatsApp which got through whilst more conventional means were blocked by over use. Amazingly as far as we could see all the buildings had stood up and there was no injury or panic. The buildings must be stronger than they look. There were aftershocks, about every 2 hours or more, all day and night. These were very unnerving as we didn't know until they had faded away how intense they would be each time. There was also a huge clap of thunder and lightening flash that made us leap. A one - off!

Where to go, what to do. I thought that we should stay in the open and we headed for a hotel in town, where, again rather surreal, we sat for the rest of the day sipping tea and trying to get in touch with each other. It was good to hear from Simon again and know that he was safely at his planned destination later in the day. Some Nepali colleagues joined us. They were nervous of going home, understandably, so I asked if we could camp out in a low meeting room. The proprietor was wonderful. She had opened her gates to lots of locals who bedded down under awnings. We girls popped back to the flat and gathered bedding and returned to try to settle for a few hours sleep.




Communication was much more important that sleep


 Anxiety and several aftershocks meant not much sleep. The skies also opened to heavy rain that must have hampered rescue services in other areas.

The following day felt very strange. A certain degree of normality, a few shops open, vehicles moving and even a visit to the office. However aftershocks continued although gradually subsiding, apart from a big one at about midday (6.7) which threw us again. To my great relief Simon arrived at about 11.30 am. So good to be back together.

Makeshift tents started to emerge and everyone obviously felt much more relaxed outside. Our neighbours from our house spent the first night in their bus which they parked out of town. People were very concerned about our well-being and pleased to chat.




The view from our flat




Some basic shelter from the torrential night rain.









Although we popped into the flat a few times Simon, Ann and I repeated yesterday and spent the afternoon and night at the hotel. I wholeheartedly thank them. Thankfully a quieter night and a bit of sleep.

As Sunday and Monday progressed we heard more of the devastating news and rising death figures. Sadly this will rise for some time but that will be no news to you all. Here is Besishahar it is hard to believe that the epicentre to this horrible earthquake was so near. We have seen little damage. However most people that we have talked to either know of family or friends that are missing, have lost family houses in the villages, in one case a whole village, or have yet to find out about damage.

Today, Monday, we had a short walk and we were pleased to see life returning to some kind of normality. Most people still seem happier outside but crops were being tended, more shops open, the grueling task of sand gathering and even boys fishing.


Sand collecting 2 days after the earthquake




Boys fishing



 We await news from VSO of what and when we can do more to help. For now that is all I can muster the emotional energy to write. Thank you so much to family and friends for all of your concern and loving messages.




I
A peaceful evening view


Fingers crossed that it is a good omen and our thoughts are with those much less fortunate than us.







4 comments:

  1. Its hard to know what to say except that everyone is so pleased that you are both unhurt and so impressed with what you have both been doing. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, both, for such a detailed account (and amazing photos) which really help us understand what you and others went through. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your eye witness account. It has been truly horrendous for so many but so glad sane, calm people like you both are there to help. Meryl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are both safe. Thank you for your amazing, intelligent, considered accounts from your work. Your blog has been amazing to follow. Best wishes with the rest of your work. Caroline Sweetland

    ReplyDelete