Nepal's Banksy was here!

Nepal's Banksy was here!
Strong message, Simple words

Friday 23 January 2015

Skill sharing with a buffalo dairy farmer



Krishna climbs the hill to his customers in Besisahar

Krishna is a local stock farmer who produces milk which he sells in Besisahar. We first met on one of my early morning walks when I was passed by a fast walking local carrying a ‘doko’ filled with small plastic containers.  ‘ Tyo dudh ho?’ (Is that milk?) was my question. I discovered in the following short conversation that he was delivering milk to his customers in Besisahar and his small farm lay across the river in Bhachhokbesi.  Eager to learn more, these days I operate well out of my comfort zone, I asked if I could make a visit to look and learn. An appointment was made and we went our separate ways.


The climb to Krishna’s village is steep but after 40 minutes I arrive and meet Pumfa his wife, and Sarita his daughter. As we talk and Krish shows me the stock more family members arrive and pretty soon they line up for a team photo.
The whole family
 
Simple housing typical of the district, with straw stack at the rear.
 
 
This farming family, like many in Nepal, have slowly built a herd of buffalo and cows but are landless. In the wet season they feed their four buff and 2 cows with grasses collected from the surrounding countryside. Now we are in the long dry season and the main forage is rice straw with a few branches from forage trees. As is common practice wheat bran, rice polishings and a dark molasses containing meal are the other feeds which are mixed with water and fed twice a day. Sources of starch like maize and wheat are not easily available for livestock feeding locally, since they can be eaten by people. So on the face of it this ration is very short of protein, and I explain my concerns to Pumfa as she feeds the animals.  She displays her knowledge of the subject by explaining that the dark meal contains urea, a basic nitrogen source which will do the job of real protein when all else fails. I’m pleased that this sort of technology is available to farmers who have little to offer their stock other than low value forages.
Krishna stands proudly next to his dry, white cow. A Jersey cross heifer has a nuzzle!

A lovely, baisi, the female buffalo, in great condition. The milk is rich and sweet.


No mixer wagons here. Pumfa takes great care feeding each animal, but this is the only water given, till the next feed.
 
Pumfa displays her knowledge of feeding by explaining that the meal includes  a
nitrogen source, urea.

 

Krish explains that he carries 20lts of morning milk to shop and household customers each day. The charge is 100 rupees per litre, and the milk round takes three hours. Husband and wife share the milking, and unlike some of the bigger dairies, this herd is looking in fine condition.

Buff tucks into a meal

A couple of days later I am invited to return as their white cow has calved and they want me to see the calf. Jude comes along to meet everyone and together we climb back to the village. Water feeding is still a concern, with milking animals just getting 40 litres a day. So I have with me a fact sheet that I’ve written and had translated. The advice goes down well and I feel we have done something to repay their warm welcome. As we admire the newly born I check on colostrum feeding and am pleased that all is ok. As Pumfa demonstrates her skills at feeding the calf I am able to offer another skill and show how to use my fingers to get the calf to feed on its own.

The freshly calved white cow













 
 
 
 
 
With her heifer calf.
 
Walking back down the hill, towards home, I confess to Jude that this has been one of the most memorable days since coming to Nepal. The joy of transferring such a simple skill as bucket feeding a calf, and the obvious happiness on the face of the beneficiary, is almost overwhelming. I guess I’m finally seeing what my placement, and the philosophy of VSO, is all about.
Simple living conditions, twin pressure cookers!

Buff milk heated and ready for serving. Look I finished the whole cup!


One thing in common, both dairying families.
 
 



3 comments:

  1. So pleased you've had a successful farm visit. Thank you for sharing with us all. Really enjoying the blog x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it sounds like you must be fluent in Nepalese dairy farming lingo now, Simon! Well done. What a great experience.

    ReplyDelete