Nepal's Banksy was here!

Nepal's Banksy was here!
Strong message, Simple words

Friday 5 December 2014

A Rude Awakening!

VSO should add “a good sense of humour” to their recruitment requirements!

Why? This morning I rolled over in bed and dozed off again. The next thing I knew was a young boy, about 7 years old, came bursting into our bedroom. He was loud and insistent. Somewhat shocked I scrambled out of bed, bleary eyed – I was having a lie-in but it was well before 7am. He was desperate for me to open the door onto our balcony, which I am sure he would have done himself if he had been tall enough, while shouting “cock, cock”! Well as soon as I could I obliged. 
 
 
Our Noisy Neighbour!
 
 I thought that his prize cockerel, which wakes us at 2am, 3am and thereafter, whenever he sees a glimmer of light, had paid us a visit. Or perhaps there had been a drama below that he needed to urgently alert me to. The young man ran out and did a check and presumably found nothing, turned tail and left as quickly as he came. I did call an ironic “thank you” after him but it fell on deaf ears!!

Simon appeared; he’d been on the roof top hanging out some washing and was unaware of my visitor! With a grin I told him about my rude awakening. A few minutes later a group of 4 boys had their noses pressed to our kitchen window and were calling out to us. Simon shooed them away.

I thought that I would just check for the dratted cockerel again, although I am sure that I’d heard his merry crowing from further afield. If he had been there a “coque au vin” would have been a change from dal bhaat, and it would alleviate the crowing! What did I find……….a shuttlecock!!! No wonder it was so urgent. I should have guessed!!
 
This leads me nicely on to children’s toys, perhaps inspired by the thought of Christmas at home and the Hill’s new theme of thrift! For the last 2 years we have made each other presents, a huge money saver, a great time-taker  but ultimately a roaring success!!

Door stops made for Christmas 2013
 
There is one toy shop here but I have never seen anyone in it. Lots of plastic things that probably cost far too much for the average pocket. However, do not imagine that there are no toys. Here are a few:

A windmill made from bamboo bark


Very difficult to photograph this young lady who was
 racing up and down the path to demonstrate her windmill.


This football was getting some heavy use.


These rubber band balls are brilliant for dodge ball!



And the natural version. Broccoli plants?


Scrap dolls made in one of our Learning Support Classes.


7am - these boys were having a great time with this wonderful cart.
The tiny wheel seemed to work well.
This leads me to thoughts of Christmas. We won't be eating turkey for the first time in 60 years although these birds are often seen at the laundry at the other end of town!



We won't be making presents for our wonderful family.

With 3 of our family and their other halves.

However we will see poinsettias in their natural environment.
 


 Christmas plans to follow soon!










2 comments:

  1. I LOVE your blog! A wonderful mixture of the challenges and adventures you're having, funny tales of everyday life in Nepal and of course your beautiful photographs - can't wait to see it all in the sweaty flesh next year x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, so sweet! Lovely photos from past and present - you must have been so super-organised to upload old family snaps before you left. And what a lot of ideas you'll have for home-made gifts this year! Hope you enjoy the family visits and have a SUPER time! xx

    ReplyDelete